Saturday, July 23, 2016

SAF 2016: Masterpiece Inspirations





Hi! Today's post is for the Papertrey Ink Stamp-a-faire Masterpiece Inspiration! If you are not familiar with Stamp-A-Faire, you can check out all of the details on Nichole's Blog. We have so many fun things going on today! Lots of prizes to be won and challenges to participate in!

Today the team is being challenged to select an art masterpiece and use it as inspiration for a card.  






Georgia O’Keeffe has always been a favorite artist of mine. I love her bold use of color and her lovely floral designs. I chose her Red Poppy painting as my inspiration piece, one because it’s stunning, and it’s always been one of my favorites of hers, and second, because I really wanted to watercolor the poppy in the Botanical Blocks III stamp set. I fell in love with that set the first time I used it, and immediately thought of it for my inspiration piece.

Here is what I did with this beautiful inspiration piece!




I just love to watercolor! I created the background in the exact same way that you will see in my video tonight at 8:00pm ( if you are so inclined to watch it ). I stamped the greenery from the Tropics stamp set onto watercolor paper and then went over them with a wet brush to create a watercolored look. I adhered this to an A2 size card base. The poppy is from the Botanical Blocks II stamp set. I stamped it in waterproof black ink and watercolored it with Zig Clean Color Brushes. I love the zigs, but unfortunately I've found that the colors fade out pretty fast. So I'll need to send this card quick! haha! 




I mounted the poppy onto some Pinefeather Card stock and then mounted that with foam tape onto my card. The congrats is from the Tropics set and I stamped that in Smokey Shadow, layered it three times and glued it down.

STAMPS: Botanical Blocks III, Tropics
DIES: Botanical Blocks III
INK: Hawaiian Shores, Tropical Teal, Green Parakeet , New Leaf, Smokey Shadow
PAPER: Stampers Select White, Watercolor paper, Pinefeather card stock
OTHER: Zig Clean Color Brush markers

Don't forget to check out Nichole's blog all day long today to participate in all of the fun activities going on for Stamp-a-faire!! Don't forget my video is tonight at 8:00 pm EST! It's my first! It's not perfect, but hey, I did one, and I'm proud!! :D

Hope you have a fabulous time playing along with Papertrey Ink's 2016 Stamp-a-faire!! Can't wait to see what everyone does!

To see more inspiration from the Design team you can check out Nichole's blog or the links below!


Thanks so much for stopping by!

Kay :)






17 comments:

  1. Yes, you DO love to watercolor, and you do it so well! I love your masterpiece--Georgia O'Keeffe would be so proud of your interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Masterpiece" is definitely the word I would use to describe your gorgeous card, Kay! Your watercoloring is amazing...the rich colors are so pretty, and how you blended them is just mind-blowing! Loving your artistic layout, too! A stunning take on O'Keefe's modern style!
    Can't wait to see your video :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kay,

    Lord have Mercy on me! First you BLOW ME AWAY with this SUBLIME card and then you proceed to say about the video "(if you are so inclined) ", what you should have placed instead was ( if you don't see it ,it's your loss), but since I KNOW that you are not going to do so (You are too nice), I on the other hand have my "moments", is it too late to erase that? OF COURSE.....everyone in their right mind will kill to watch this video,let the supper burn, the kids fight non stop,the telephone ring out,place a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the door, and put a lock on it, but WATCH THE VIDEO!!!!
    OK, I have to go now I will follow my one advice sans the children (mine are grown up and they all live abroad..he,he), it's 7:50 P.M. and DOGGONE IT, I am WATCHING THE VIDEO!

    Cariños,
    María Alba

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow! This is so gorgeous Kay! Beautiful coloring and color choices! Stunning card! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw your first video and thought it was great! I've admired your watercoloring talent for quite some time, so it was nice to see some of your tips. Of course, the real surprise for me was hearing your voice - I didn't realize you had a southern accent - very charming! Looking forward to more of your videos.

    Cathy B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping in again to tell you how much I enjoyed your video, Kay! Crystal clear instructions, and you have such a sweet southern accent :) Also, your card is absolutely beautiful...great choice of stamps, too! Looking forward to playing along in the challenge, and I do hope we'll get to see more videos from you sometime soon! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kay, I just watched your video on you tube and enjoyed it so much! You inspired me to try it too! I think your first video is just awesome!
    You know I'm a big fan of your amazing talent!
    Stunning card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kay...this is simply stunning. I'm in the midst of a new love affair with poppies this year and seeing your gorgeous poppy card made me smile soooo big. I'm so glad you love to watercolor because I love to see what you have watercolored. Win-win. Your colors in this card are just amazing. I don't really know what else to say other than I cannot wait to see your video. Looks like a winner based on the comments. I hadn't heard anything about those Zigs fading out. That's definitely good to know. Thank you for all that you share Kay. You are definitely a shining light in this community. Big, squishy hugs to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This card is over the top gorgeous! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kay, this card is gorgeous. I loved your video on water coloring, too! I love your southern accent, too! You need to do more videos to share your talent. I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spectacular Kay!! Good thing you enjoy watercoloring, you are a master at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kay!!
    Just popping into say hello and say how gorgeous this card is! Absolutely fabulous. I loved you video too and so far I've tried the technique with the same images and changing up the colors just a bit. It gets easier each time and I'm amazed how different one can look from another. Hopefully I'm getting better. Your instructions are wonderful! Big hugs to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful Kay!!! I really loved seeing your video. you did a fabulous job! I am always inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very late to the party! Your inspiration piece is beautiful but your interpretation of it is stunning! I am in awe of your background and the zig colouring beautiful. I have been really enjoying them myself lately!! Sorry I haven't been around much lately, summer has consumed me. I miss my daily doses of Kay! Off to find your video and then lights out. Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this is stunning, Kay! I just love it!
    Thanks so much for the sweet comments that you left for Sage and me on my blog -- they were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm slowly getting around to everyone to comment. Right from the second I saw this one, I was awestruck. So amazing! You really are a shining light in the stamping world - mega talented, inspiring and so sweet. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just wanted to say thank you for the wonderful wc video you did for SAF! My first try didn't turn out, but I did it again for the Remix challenge & I love the result! Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read and appreciate each and every one so much! Hugs :)